I play fantasy football. More accurately, I play a lot of fantasy football.
This coming August, I’ll be in Las Vegas for the draft for the 10th year of one of my leagues. The past few years, 10 of us started a dynasty football league. That meant needing to pay closer attention to NFL prospects and the incoming rookie classes. That’s how Eliot Crist came on my radar. His name kept popping up when I was researching draft scouts and football analysts to help me better prepare for my league.
He quickly became one of my favorite Twitter follows. I saw him tweet that he wanted to be on any podcast that wanted to have him. The lightbulb turned on. Myself, and many others I know, have dreamed of writing and talking about football for a living. Why not talk to someone on the Heart of Business, the podcast I host where we talk to people who have pursued their passions through business and life?
I applied to Pro Football Focus, thinking there was no way in hell … It was a part time opportunity … Just grinding all the time, not making much money. But, you know, consistently getting more and more opportunities.
- 2:44 – How Eliot got started
- 9:38 – On maintaining a love for your passion when it’s also a job
- 11:30 – Talking about what goes into analyzing a football player
- 14:27 – How podcasting has helped him become a better people person
- 15:59 – The power of social media to connect people
- 18:14 – Recognizing yourself as a pier to the top individuals in your space
- 19:55 – Breaking into and standing out in a crowded profession